Giyu Tomioka is a famous character from the anime Demon Slayer. He is considered to be the Water Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps also known as Water Hashira.
|Tables of Content|
4. Fighting Styles
Giyu is considered t be a tall young man with medium stature height. His messy black hair is always tied back into a low ponytail, always wearing an emotionless expression.
Giyu has thin eyebrows and deep dark blue eyes. He always wears the standard black Demon Slayer’s uniform along with a haori with two different patterns: one solid red and one geometrically patterned with green, orange, and yellow.
When Giyu fought with Muzan Kibutsuji, he loses his right arm. After the fight, Giyu cuts his hair down to shoulder length, now wearing it loose rather than tied into a ponytail.
In anime and manga, Giyu is always shown with a serious expression on his face. He has a kind of reserved personality and a strong sense of justice. He doesn’t tolerate those who don’t know their own limitations and throw away their lives.
Giyu doesn’t completely despise Demons as some other main members of Demon Slayer Corps do and is willing to make an exception for a Demon by letting them live if they don’t kill and eat humans. This displays the pragmatic nature of Giyu in dealing with Demons.
Giyu also appears to have a complex with what others think of him and is shocked when Shinobu Kocho claims he is hated by many.
He is a man of very few words and has trouble interacting with others, so he usually keeps himself at a distance. Later on, Giyu suffers from an inferiority complex that he developed since his participation in the Final Selection.
Despite his aloof and stoic nature, Giyu is known to be a protective and caring character. He has been also been shown to lose his composure and usual stoic demeanor when those he cares about are in danger.
Giyu the Demon Slayer Corps, is considered to be a very powerful swordsman. He is able to easily defeat the Father of the Spider Demon in his transformed state and Rui, Lower Moon Five.
And during his fight with Akaza, Upper Moon Three, he was able to hold on his own for some time, Akaza is amazed by Giyu’s skills to the point that he offers to transform the Pillar into Demon and states that he has not fought a Water Hashira as skilled as Giyu in fifty years.
- Master Swordsman: Giyu is regarded as a pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps as well as he is considered one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization.
- Enhanced Speed: Giyu is very fast. He demonstrated his speed when he cuts the head of Rui in the blink of an eye.
- Enhanced Endurance: Giyu also possesses a level of endurance. He displayed such abilities when he endures a powerful attack from Akaza, the Upper Moon Three, and continues to fight with only minor injuries.
- Crimson Red Nichirin Blade: During the fight against Muzan, Sanemi forcefully clashes his sword together with Giyu’s turning both of their blades temporarily red, which grants them the ability to hamper the enhanced regeneration of Demons.
- Demon Slayer Mark: During his battle against Akaza, Giyu awakens his Demon Slayer Mark, appearing as a fluid-water-like design on his left cheek. When he activates the Demon Slayer Mark, he gains an immense increase in speed, precision, and endurance that he could engage in a long battle against the Upper Moon Three even on the ground.
His fighting style is Breath of Water Style, taught by Sakonji Urokodaki. Using this technique he can increase the amount of oxygen in one’s blood by controlling his breathing pattern.
This also increases his strength and agility to a whole new level. He has learned to do full focus breathing at all times like other Hashiras, further increasing his base strength, speed, and stamina.
Ultimately Giyu knows all of the Breath of Water Style techniques and has developed one additional style of his own.
- First Style: Water Surface Slice: A single concentrated slash.
- Second Style: Water Wheel: The swordsman jumps and spins his body while slashing.
- Third Style: Dance of the Rapid Current: The swordsman swings his blade at his opponent in a way that mimics the movement of waves on the surface of the water.
- Fourth Style: Striking Tide: The swordsman makes multiple consecutive slashes while twisting their body in a flowing fashion similar to a harsh tide.
- Fifth Style: The Merciful Rain of a Dry Day: A “sword strike of kindness” that kills the target with little to no pain. This style is used when the enemy surrenders.
- Sixth Style: Twisting Whirpool: The swordsman fiercely twists his upper and lower body, which creates a whirlpool that cuts anything caught in it.
- Seventh Style: Piercing Rain Drop: A fast and accurate stab. The fastest Breath of Water technique.
- Eight Style: Waterfall Jar: The swordsman cuts the target vertically.
- Ninth Style: Water Splash: Minimizes the landing time and surface needed when landing, allowing the user to move without limits. Ideal when fighting in a place with no solid foothold.
- Tenth Style: The Dragon of Change: A continuous attack that increases in power with each rotation, creating a strong slash.
- Eleventh Style: Dead Calm: A technique, itself created by Giyu. He gained a skill that disables and nullifies all incoming attacks. However, its effectiveness is limited and even numerous attacks can break through it.
- “Don’t cry. Don’t despair. Those things will do you no good. Your family is dead and your sister has become a Demon. Your heart is crushed. I know your pain, how you must want to cry out. If I’d come half a day sooner your family might have survived. But there is no turning back time. Fill your heart with anger. Strong, pure anger that gives no quarter. Anger becomes the unwavering force that drives your limbs. Weakness and empty promises cannot protect your sister or find her a cure. And they certainly cannot avenge your family.“
- “She must’ve been craving a feast right from the start, even her own brother. But she protected him and turned her attention to me. I wonder if… just maybe… these two are different.“
- “I’m not disliked by people.“
- “Tanjiro… your techniques have improved by a lot. It’s no joke to say that your power matches that of a Hashira[…] That day. That snowy day when you fell into despair, you bowed your head and did the only thing you could do: cry as you beg me to spare your sister’s life. But now you can fight. So your life and your dignity will not be taken away.”
- “I don’t want to wield my blade to the best of my ability. And I don’t like joining fights where the opponent swings at everything for the fun of it. But right now I met someone so strong that he overwhelmed me for the first time in a long time. I quickly understood that his senses were finely polished and trained. My sealed senses were slapped awake and dragged out to a place where the strong face off. The moment we call an extreme life-or-death struggle is a matter of how much one can stretch their true ability. I understood that.”
- “If you want to kill Tanjiro… First, defeat me!!“
- “I must pass on what was entrusted to me. Never again will I let family and friends die before my eyes. I’ll save him. I will save Tanjiro the same way I was saved.“
- “What is it now? You know this already. That is a monster that can no longer be called a human. A Demon. Face it Yae, that is no longer your father.
- “Even if something does happen, my heart will never waver. We are the nine strongest swordsmen in our organization. The literal ‘Pillars’ of the Demon Hunters. That is why we will never forget who we wield our swords for and who we are protecting. There are things that must be supported. So the Pillars must act as Pillars.“